Grandpa was feeling his age.
He found that shopping for Christmas gifts had become too difficult, so he decided to write a cheque and send to everyone instead.
In each card he wrote, “Buy your own present!” and mailed them early.
He enjoyed the usual flurry of family festivities, and it was only after Christmas Day that he noticed he had received very few cards in return.
Puzzled over this, he went into his study, intending to write to a couple of his relatives and ask what had happened.
It was then, as he cleared off his cluttered desk, that he got his answer. Under a stack of papers, he was horrified to find the signed cheque’s, which he had forgotten to enclose with the cards.
The empty Christmas cards that he had sent out to all his loved ones now simply read… ‘BUY YOUR OWN PRESENT!’
Hopefully today will go somewhat better than that, but just in case you need a little help, here is my Christmas recipe for a blessed day:
1) Make the day all about others
2) Be thankful
3) Put yourself out for someone less fortunate than you
4) Be bold enough to say a few words along with a prayer of thanksgiving around the Christmas lunch table
5) If you’ve got out of the wrong side of the bed, get straight back in and out the other side with a smile
6) Do something in the spur of the moment… invite a person who you know is on their own to Christmas supper.
7) Have fun with the children… no matter how old they are
8) Go over the top with love. Forgive and overlook your differences
9) If you still have them, serve your grandparents and make it their best Christmas yet
10) Stay awake as long as you can and be grateful that you’re alive on another Christmas Day
And if you’re sad when it’s all over… remember JESUS isn’t just for Christmas, He’s for LIFE.
With love from all our family to yours x
A daily devotion for a better way of living.