For me, reading the Bible every morning is like opening the early morning post. A letter that’s arrived through your letterbox has a reason for landing on your doormat… it may contain very important information or even a very important invitation.
Toyah Willcox is an English singer and actress. She has had 8 Top 40 singles, released over 20 albums, written two books, appeared in over forty stage plays and ten feature films, and has voiced and presented numerous television shows.
Between 1977 and 1983, she fronted the band ‘Toyah,’ before embarking on a solo career in the mid-1980’s. Her biggest hits include, ‘It’s a Mystery,’ ‘Thunder in the Mountains’ and ‘I Want to Be Free.’
In a recent TV interview, she recalled how she went through one stage in her life where she didn’t open her post for six years. When she finally got around to tackling the mountain of mail, she was totally stunned to find one envelope that was marked, ‘Pinewood Studios.’
When she opened it, she found out that years earlier she had been invited to play the role of Maid Marion in the Robin Hood film, alongside Kevin Costner. It was now too late… If only she would’ve opened her daily post, she would have added a major film to her acting career.
How many of us today are missing out on great opportunities handed to us by God, simply because we are not reading the mail that He sends to us daily through the Bible? I get so much inspiration, encouragement, guidance and daily sustenance through reading His word, that I can’t afford to leave the house for even a day without reading what God wants to say to me. Open your post from God TODAY.
Here are my few, simple tips for reading the Bible on a daily basis:
1) Get yourself a modern translation of the Bible, e.g the NIV
2) Set the same kind of time aside each day to read it
3) Keep your Bible handy with a notebook and pen, so that you can write down things that jump out at you
4) Reading is not a race or a competition. It’s better to read small chunks that you can apply to your life, than read several chapters that you don’t take on board
5) Have a balanced Bible-reading diet each day… Start off with a few verses from Matthew’s Gospel, followed by a few verses from the Old Testament, finished off with a Psalm or Proverb
Don’t leave your morning post on the mat for another six years… you never know what’s going to be inside.
A daily devotion for a better way of living.