There is not one single person reading this today that will be exempt from temptation. In fact, everyone at some time this week will be tempted.
Someone right now reading this will be battling with the most severe temptation of their lives and you are doing everything you can just to stay afloat.
Temptations are like presents – they come gift wrapped, in all shapes and sizes, right to your door. The urge will be to open them as soon as possible.
Temptation also brings with it many misconceptions, so that it gets you down on yourself, even if it can’t get you to open the whole parcel.
Here are some misconceptions about temptation:
- Temptation is sin – No it isn’t! Jesus was tempted but never sinned. Temptation’s job is to lead us to sin, but it is not sin itself.
Hebrews 4:15 ‘Jesus…has been tempted in every way, just as we are – yet he did not sin.’
- I’m the only one struggling with temptation right now – No, you’re not! Temptation is common to all people.
1 Corinthians 10:13 ‘No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear.’
- There’s no way that I can overcome this temptation – Yes you can!
1 Corinthians 10:13 ‘…But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.’
- I’m a very strong person, so I’ll never get pulled down by temptation – be careful!
1 Corinthians 10:12 ‘So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall!’
- I’ll be glad when this phase of my life is over – This phase will pass, but beware that temptation will be part of your life until the day that you die!
Luke 4:13 ‘When the devil had finished all this tempting, he left him [Jesus] until an opportune time.’
Whatever you’re going through right now, be sure to know that you are not alone. Jesus has gone through it all for you, so that you can overcome. Ask Him to strengthen you right now.
Remember – there’s always free cheese on a mouse trap…so walk on by.
Ephesians 6:10-12 ‘Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armour of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.’
A daily devotion for a better way of living.