The Bible tell us that Jesus came not to be served, but to serve. (See Matthew 20 v 28)
What a great example.
We should all strive to be servant-hearted in everything we do and the lives we lead.
What is servanthood?
1. It’s the act of putting someone else’s interests before your own
2. Doing for someone, what you’d like to be done for you
3. Serving can be seen by some as ‘lowering yourself’ – it’s actually elevating to a higher level. (See Jesus as the perfect example).
4. Be a servant without making a song and dance about it
5. Putting credit into someone else’s account, without showing your debit slip
6. Being big enough to do small things
7. Being a friend to the little man
8. Going the extra mile without claiming expenses
9. ‘Picking up the litter’ when you know it’s not your responsibility.
10. Rewriting your job description downwards, knowing that God can rewrite it upwards
When we understand that our purpose in life is to serve, that’s when our life will be truly fulfilled.
Serving will not only bring joy to those around me, but to my life too
J = Jesus
O = others
Y = yourself.
Get this order right and you won’t go far wrong.
A daily devotion for a better way of living.